It’s a wrap – This is the last river related update (unless it is absolutley needed). We will return to normal posting this week as the water and flow continue to subside. Here is a wrap up and forecast from NOAA
9:18 am – Conditions are improving, flow is still gradually slowing and water levels in our area have returned to normal. We will remain today in case one of the two ice jams moves, but are cautiously optimistic that the current threat could be over by late afternoon as forecast.
EDIT: 5:33 am – No new news, which is good news. We remain vigilante. Will post a pic at first light.
EDIT 2:57am – Conditions remain the same. The river remains within its banks at our position, and the current remains strong but is in a very gradual decline in both volume and height. We’ll keep you posted.
EDIT 12:30 – Water levels are in a very gradual decline at the moment. Current flow is 31,100cfs which is down from a high 24hrs ago of 38,200cfs. Here is the latest USGS levels.
EDIT: 7:26 – Conditions once again are the same. The river is still in its banks despite a very heavy volume. We will keep you posted but it is too dark to take pictures at this point. We will remain at the ready and keep our fingers crossed. Check back for details.
EDIT 4:00pm – Conditions remain the same. The river is still in its banks at our position. The volume has now dropped to 33,300cfs (source USGS), which is still extremely high yet is headed in the right direction. In a brief moment of levity here is a pic of the river, notice the seagulls are now content to ride the ice down stream. We’re in for another long night, we’ll keep you posted.
Pic from 4:00pm
EDIT 2:00pm – Status update: River level unchanged, flow now registered at 34,600cfs at 1pm (Source USGS) down from a high of 38,200cfs at midnight. Though well above the comfort zone of below 16,000. So it’s still running strong and still in the banks at our location. The edge of the ice below is beat up from up and down motion.
Pic from 2:00pm
EDIT 12:08 am, river conditions unchanged. The flow is running very rapid so please do not approach for pictures or viewing. The main ice sheet in front of the marina set sail, and we’ll keep an eye on river moving forward as more debris and ice will soon follow. Check back.
Pics from 12:08
EDIT: 10:00 am, river conditions unchanged. The flow is still at a torrid pace but the levels at our position remain in the banks. Our hearts go out to our friends and neighbors in the river community who are dealing with these difficult circumstances. The ice has not cleared and still presents a danger to all aspects of the river. Please do not sight see near the water, it puts you and our town’s safety forces at unnecessary risk. We’ll keep you posted.
River at 10am Sat 22nd:
The time is currently 7:02 am and the Vermilion River is still running strong at this point. We have been here since 7am Friday monitoring the situation. There has been flooding south of our location in the Mill Hollow area and other low lying areas beyond that. Currently, even though the flow is very strong, the river remains in its banks at our location. We are keeping our fingers crossed and will update folks as time allows.
Here is a current pic of the marina and river
Important: Please use extreme care if visiting the area and do not approach the running river. It would be extremely difficult to render assistance to anyone who fell into the water at this point, and would place Vermilion’s safety forces in grave danger. Site seeing is not worth the risk.